Re: [SQU] External Authentication and Hanging Proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 02:04:18 +0200

Patrick Wheeler wrote:

> I click on a link, authenticate, then get a connected to (whatever the
> web site I try to go to), waiting for reply... and eventually get a
> document contains no data error.

If you have made a custom authenticator then this is a classic symptom
of forgetting to turning off STDIO buffering.

Perl:

BEGIN { $|=1; }

C:

setbuf(stdout, NULL);

What is happening is that Squid sends your username+password to the
authenticator which validates it and puts the response in it's STDIO
buffer for stdout, but the response stays in the buffer and never
reaches Squid.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker