Re: [SQU] monitoring squid daemon through mon

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 23:40:54 -0500

Wenzhuo Zhang wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 11:24:18PM -0500, Joe Cooper wrote:
> > The cachemgr pages won't come back without Squid running. (i.e. the
> > page you get when you type 'client mgr:info')
> >
> > I suppose a URL that would work would be something like this:
> >
> > http://path/to/cachemgr.cgi?host=localhost&port=3128&user_name=&operation=info&auth=
> >
> It's costly in terms of system resource because the monitor needs to
> probe squid freqently.

Reasonable.

> > But I could be wrong. Any reason why using echoping is not acceptable
> > for your case?
> >
> There are cases in which the system is still running but squid died,
> so ICMP echo is not enough.

echoping is not an ICMP echo. It actually talks to Squid and fetches a
site through it. It's possible to run a small webserver on the
monitoring station that serves a single status check webpage. echoping
then fetches the page through the proxy...if it fails it knows Squid is
down and tells your script or process.
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances