Re: [SQU] Is Squid for me?

From: Martin Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:17:45 +0100

At 15:40 24/10/00 +0100, DaveP wrote:
>My question is, would I be better using Squid? I'd like to totally
>disable cacheing (as I can with Apache). Authentication of clients is
>not an issue, but the proxy must handle HTTP, HTTPS and FTP requests
>including sites which require authentication.

Hi Dave

IMHO, proxies are a Good Thing[tm]. The very least they do is provide a
single route in and out of your network for Web traffic and effectively
anonymise each client making connection requests to the outside world.

On top of that, you can also introduce spambusting rules that help you to
make better use of your bandwidth - blocking any site with the word
"doubleclick" in the hostname is always a Good Thing[tm] too.

Even if there's only a 1% overlap for the sites your clients request,
that's still 1% of your bandwidth you just saved.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks