Re: [SQU] Squid 2.2-STABLE4 hanging

From: Eugene Geldenhuys <eugeneg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:34:19 +0800

Hi - It's been a long while, but I think that I may have narrowed
down the cause of this problem.
I was testing the cache today and I found that whenever I envoked
the web browser from a particular system on the LAN it caused
squid to hang.
Investigating further I tailed the access.log and cache.log files and
found that when I accessed the browser on this particular system
squid
hangs with no log entries, it's as though it attempts to process the
request and hangs before it can log the activity. I did a tcpdump for
the
particular system and compared it to a dump from another system -
I can
see no differences up to the point that the system hangs. To
explain the
configuration of the Linux system - it is a highly modified Redhat 6.1
system with kernel 2.2.10. The server has 2 LAN segments
attached, both
which use squid. The workstation in question is a Windows 98 with
Mickeysoft Explorer 4.0 (I upgraded to 5.0 with the same result)
This is a
really obscure problem, but if we can nail down the cause, we may
be able
to prevent anyone else from suffering the same problems.

> Looks like I may have someone forcing my cache to hang, after
> months of reliable service my cache has suddenly become prone to
> hanging.

Not the case, it is a system rather than an individual

> I have checked the logs and the only clue I have is that just prior to
> the cache hanging I get the following entries in cache.log:
>
> 2000/09/06 14:59:00| sslReadClient: FD 39: read failure: (104)
> Connection reset by peer
> or
> 2000/09/07 11:02:01| urlParse: Illegal character in hostname
> 'www.lange_devil.homestead.com'
>
> Is there some way that the cache can be affected by illegal chars
> in URL names ?
>
> The access.log files holds no clues that I can see.
>
> I have gone to the lengths of replacing the box in it's entirety
> including a fresh load of Linux and I still have the same problem.

I no longer think that this is a configuration issue
Best Regards
Eugene Geldenhuys
MCNE ECNE MCSE MCP

TFX SOLUTIONS -
PROFESSIONAL NETWORK DESIGN ,IMPLEMENTATION AND SUPPORT