[SQU] authentication - stress

From: Ben Mckellar <Ben@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:56:18 +1000

Hi,,

I wish to setup a basica authentication, simple as possible.

I have been trying the last week with little success.

I have Redhat 7.0 installed with squid 2.3 stable running.
>From this point on what are the steps i should take to get some basic
authentication.
??

What i did was this.

---/etc/squid/squid.conf---
#ACL
acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED

#http_access
http_access allow password
http_access deny all

#Authentication program
authenticate_program /usr/bin/htpasswd /root/squidpass

squidpass is a pass file i generated with htpasswd.

This does not work. I just want a real basic way of authenticating. NSCA
doesnt come in the redhat distro of squid, and it wont compile either.
Can someone provide me with a few steps on how to get some kind of real
basic authentication up and running?

If anything needs to be compiled can you pleases gimmme some detailed
isntructions on howto do it on redhat, cause i noticed a lot of the tar.gz
stuff screws up.

thanx

Ben