Re: [SQU] internal dns vs externel dns processes

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:33:09 +0200

Greg wrote:

> hello, its greg here
>
> Have a question,
> which is faster to use to server dns requests

The internal implementation is more efficient, but is not yet as mature
as the external and might have problems to resolve some names.

> or is there no difference, the reason why i asked is because all of my
> 32 dns server processes are being used and unless you can add more
> then 32 i was thinking of going to squid 2.4 devel2 or squid 2.3
> stable3 which have the internal dns process.

A quite common reason to this is if the DNS server Squid is configured
to use is overloaded or performs badly. Usually due to lack of memory.

Other than this I have only seen all 32 being used when there is a
Internet meltdown and large parts of the net is unreachable.. See
http://squid.sourceforge.net/hno/ for a small patch allowing Squid to
handle the situation more gracefully (return an error to the client
instead of abort the whole Squid process).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker