[SQU] squid and apache?

From: Paul Scollon <scollonp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:23:55 +0100

Ok, this question may seem small time to all you squid users out there, but
I'm only using it about 6 hours and have just this one little problem:

Our intranet was working fine on our Linux server at 192.168.1.1 (port
80)using Apache. Typing intranet.ourcompanyname.com got you to it fine. The
browsers on our PCs had to have proxy settings pointing at 192.168.1.1 port
80 to access the intranet, and had to have proxy settings switched off to
access the internet.

Now, after setting up Squid on port 3128, we can access both the internet
and the intranet without messing with proxy settings (the browsers are just
always using proxy server at 192.168.1.1 port 3128). Unfortunately, the
intranet is only accessible by accessing http://192.168.1.1 rather than
intranet.companyname.com as before, which was much nicer. Also we have
Virtualhosts in place, so I can't even get near
development.ourcompanyname.com and experiment.ourcompanyname.com.

Typing intranet.ourcompanyname.com in a browser brings up an error like
this: >>

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://intranet.ourcompanyname.com

The following error was encountered:

     Unable to determine IP address from host name for
intranet.ourcompanyname.com

The dnsserver returned:

     DNS Domain 'intranet.ourcompanyname.com' is invalid: Host not found
(authoritative).

This means that:

 The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
 Check if the address is correct. <<

Okay, so our name server at the other end of our ISDN obviously doesn't know
where our intranet resides, nor do we want it to. And entering the IP
address gets me to the intranet because Squid knows where that machine is.
So HOW do I get my intranet working by typing it's URL? Am I to configure
Squid some more or is there another file in Linux (SuSE Prfessional 7.0) I
need to be looking at? resolve.conf? httpd.conf?
All help appreciated, and apologies if the answer to this is so bloody
obvious I should be shot. But it's friday and I'm tired, and love to get
this sorted by very early next week :)
Thanx in advance,

Paul (recently appointed Network Admin)