[SQU] Squid Cache size Vs performance

From: Garry Byrne <garry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:04:40 +1000

Hi all,

A fellow ISP I was talking to at a training day last month told us about
his proxy server cache size being 64gig. The story goes that in an effort
to cut his data bills he just kept slowly adding more ram and scsi drives
for additional cache while watching the cache dirs fill and his and bills
fall.

>From memory his proxy specs were:
1gig of memory and 64gig of cache spread of a number of 9 and 18 gig scsi
drives. I don't know the other specs but I think the OS was FreeBSD and
set his max cache object size to 30meg so it caches most of the common
programs that is been downloaded by his clients.

I run 3 proxy servers at different POP's and don't have them peering at
each other as its cheaper for me to pull the data via satellite than to run
down our very expensive terrestrial links. Traditionally our cache size
has been around 6 to 8 gig but I would love to beef op the cache and ram if
it would save me some data costs without dropping performance for my
clients. I know this has being discussed in the past but I have not had
much luck at finding the what I am after int he archives.

I would love to here some advice on this from the list and also some specs
of what cache sizes others run, ram used and how they find the performance.

Regards
Garry
Garry Byrne
Highway Internet Services ABN: 14 088 130 269
Part of the LiSP Group http://www.lisp.com.au
Servicing the Dubbo, Mudgee, Coonabarabran, Gilgandra,
Warren, Narromine, Wellington and surrounding areas.
Enquiries 02 63723645
garry@lisp.com.au