Re: [SQU] Delay-Pools...

From: Jan Henkins <jan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:58:07 +0200

On Wednesday 01 November 2000 09:41, Tristan Cusi III wrote:
> Hi Everyone!!!!
>
> I read about delay pools on the User guide, and quite
> understand how to use them, but I think I am not that
> familiar in compiling the source and have it run at
> boot time, etc..., etc....
>
> I was wondering if someone has a RPM with delay pools
> enabled for squid-2.3 stable4... or if someone can
> give me at least an outline to follow it would be fine.

Hi Tristan,

To expand a little on what Ahsan Khan previously said:

1) Get the newest stable tarball of Squid
2) Unpack the tarball in a convenient directory using
"tar zxvf file.tar.gz"
3) In the resultant directory, do a "./configure --help" and note the options
that you need to be compiled into your new Squid.
4) Do a "./configure --enable-your-option1 --enable-your-option2" etc until
you have all the options enabled that you've noted in step 3
5) Run "make" and then "make install" from the same directory as where you
found the "configure" script
6) Before you actually do the "make install" bit, save your current
squid.conf file and uninstall the Squid RPM, and then do the "make install".
7) Squid will be installed into /usr/local/squid, and the new squid.conf will
live under the /usr/local/squid/etc directory. You can backup the new
squid.conf as well to refer to as an example later. Another tip is, just for
your own convenience, to make a symlink in /etc to point to your new
squid.conf file using the "ln" command.
8) Edit your new squid.conf file, or try your old squid.conf as a drop-in
replacement of the new one. Once that is done, run squid by simply running it
from the /usr/local/squid/bin directory without any arguments. Once you're
happy that it behaves like it should...
9) Add the squid commandline to a startup file. A nice convenient way of
doing this is to add the "/usr/local/squid/bin/squid" commandline at the
bottom of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. This will ensure that Squid is
started up every time you reboot.

Tip: Make sure that in your squid.conf file that Squid creates it's PID file
in /var/run to ensure that you can easily find out the running Squid's PID.
That helps if you don't understand the output of the "top" and "ps" commands
to check out your running processes. To find Squid's current PID, simply
"cat" the PID file you see in /var/run (there should be several such files,
easily identifiable by name) and you will get the current PID number for your
running copy of Squid. To kill Squid, simply do a "kill -9 <PID>", and to
restart it, re-run Squid from it's BIN directory. A better way of restarting
Squid is to send it a HUP signal. Check the Squid FAQ on how to do this.

It is highly advisable to actually compile Squid instead of using the RPM. I
found that the performance increase as well as the better stability more than
makes up for the whole shebang of actually compiling it. The increase in
performance is quite dramatic, I can assure you!

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins