[SQU] delay-pools with maxconn acl, bis

From: Lionel Bouton <Lionel.Bouton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 10:03:59 +0100

Hello,

I sent a message to the list 3 days ago and there isn't any answer yet.
I don't think the answer to the question at the end of the message is
obvious, so please consider reading this message again.
Here's the original message with some additional info and reformating.

** Goal **
To limit the bandwidth of the users who launch to many simultaneous
downloads.
128kbps for 140 users here -> web browsing slows down dramatically
for everyone when someone launchs 10 downloads.

** Method **
I try to use a delay_pool with an acl using "maxconn".

Here is the acl and delay_pools setup I use :

----------------------------------
# 10 simultaneous connexions : abuse
acl abuse maxconn 10
# 1 pool for abusers
delay_pools 1
# Define the class of the delay pool
# level 2 : limit on group and IP address
delay_class 1 2
# Define the pool members
delay_access 1 allow abuse
delay_access 1 deny all
# Fix limits : 1000 bytes/s for the whole group, 500 bytes for each
abuser
# 64000 bytes may be downloaded before the bandwidth is limited
delay_parameters 1 1000/64000 500/64000
----------------------------------

** Problem **
This setup works halfway :
- if some IP launches more than 10 connexions, it shows up in the
delay_pool and the limit applies.
- but when the connexions ends, the IP remains in the delay_pool and the
limit remains.

I'm pretty confident in the second affirmation :
- "netstat | grep | wc" tells me the connexions are closed for the OS.
- the IP is in the delay_pool several hours after the above indicates
proper connexion ending.

The only way of removing IPs from the delay_pool seems to be reloading
the configuration (resetting acl "abuse" and delay_pools...).

** Configuration **
RedHat 6.2 with all updates from updates.redhat.com applied,
squid-2.3-STABLE4 with all patches from www.squid-cache.org applied.

** Question **
Is my goal achievable ?
If positive, how ?