[SQU] Difficulty in using Squid 2.4stable 4 on Digital Unix with SOCKS

From: R Scott Butler <R-Scott.Butler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 11:14:32 -0500

Environment:

AlphaStaion 250 4/266.
Digital UNIX 4.0E
SOCKS 1.0r9

I can build and install Squid with no difficulties. If I start it running
without attempting to use SOCKS, Squid initializies and happily accesses
and caches pages from any of the sites on our local intranet. If I try to
start Squid with SOCKS via 'runsocks', Squid fails to finish
initialization. The error reported in cache.log is "FATAL: Failed to create
UNLINKD process."

Now in looking at unlinkd.c I notice that there is some OSF(Digital UNIX)
specific conditional compilation just before the system call (ipcCreate)
that fails. Seeminly this call works in the absence of the SOCKS shared
library but fails if it is there.

Can anyone offer advice or suggestions as to how I might get around this
problem? (Short of replacing the Alpha with a real computer.)