[SQU] REG: GRE Encapsulation of WCCP redirected packets.

From: neela priya c <neelaj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:04:31 +0530

Hi,

     I am currenlty working on WCCP implementation in the router. I am
having a conceptual doubt on GRE encapsulation of WCCP redirected data
packets .
              The purpose of GRE encapsulation of WCCP redirected data
packet is to redirect the packet destined actually to the web server to the
cache engine without altering the IP header of the data packet. The data
packet IP header (IP-1 header) contains the IP address of the WEB server.
The second IP header(delivery header IP-2 header ) contains the IP address
of the Cache Engine.
----------------
            IP-2 header |GRE header | IP-1 header | IP Data

Using the IP address in IP-2 header the cache engine gets the packet. The
cache engine then decodes the IP-1 header to find out the destination
WEB-server address and forwards the request to WEB server.

Is this the purpose for which GRE encapsulation is done for WCCP redirected
data packets.? . Am i right with the concepts. Can any one please clarify if
this is correct?

Thanks
Neela