Re: [SQU] windows update doesn't seem to cache anymore

From: Dr. Michael Weller <eowmob@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 18:10:12 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Steve Koch wrote:

> Running Squid 2.3.STABLE4 on FreeBSD 2.2.8. Squid used to cache Microsoft's
> Windows Update site quite nicely allowing me to quickly run Windows Update
> on my machines in my network. However, as of late I get all TCP_MISS's when
> it comes to Microsoft's Windows Update site. Does anyone know of anything
> with Squid that would cause this or has Microsoft changed something with
> that particular site whereas it doesn't allow those objects to be cached?
> Any help/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry, only guessing here. I'd suggest you add log_mime_hdrs to your
config and look in the logs what M$ returns to squid.

I would assume that squid is not provided with and can't find out
what the modification time, expiry period of that file is.

Maybe they moved from ftp download (AFAIK squid does an ls -l first to
learn the modification date) to an http download and provide no dates
with it.

You could play with the refresh pattern setting to enforce a minimal
time squid will cache the file, even (in violation of http protocol) if
M$ specifies a lower time.

In my case, I have an upstream proxy behind squid which also returns no
date on ftps. Squid (2.4 DEVEL 4) does not cache such requests at all to
fight a bug in other setups. For my case you can find a hack (which might
or not work for your version) on this list (subject with regard to
FTP caching) which makes it cache it anyway.

Right now I'd suggest enabling logging of mime hdrs, watch what is
given as invalidation date for the windows files and modify the refresh
pattern in the config file to ENFORCE the behaviour you want (say enforce
a certain minimal age).

Michael.

--
Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,