Re: [SQU] Building a Cache for 50 users

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 10:03:08 -0600

Franco O'Hara wrote:

> Any one know of a good log stats tool for Squid?

Calamaris, Webalizer 2.0+.

> For 50 users how many hits would I be expecting?

(Note: the number of clients is far less relevant than the actual
bandwidth of your internet link, when deciding the load your cache will
have to support...regardless, I've made a guesstimate which is probably
a safe bet.)

Not very many. Probably 100-500 per minute, on average, depending on
how active your users are. Nothing any 200+ MHz box plus a single
reasonably fast hard disk can't handle.

> How can I test a cache setup to see if it is good enought for 50 Users?

It will, most likely. 50 users is a pretty easy load to support, even
from modest hardware.

But if you do want to test it, there is nothing better than Polygraph
for benchmarking of web caches. Written by Alex and Duane (both known
from their past and contiuing work on Squid, respectively), it's
available at:

http://www.measurement-factory.com
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>