Re: [SQU] Squid used in Compaq Neoserver?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:48:57 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Melia" <Tony.Melia@downsmicro.com.au>
To: "Squid-Users (E-mail)" <squid-users@ircache.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 6:16 PM
Subject: RE: [SQU] Squid used in Compaq Neoserver?

> The reason I discovered this is because of a strange problem.
>
> Users of this neoserver can access compaq.com and the servers local
intranet
> page, but nothing else (it does have a external modem and connects ok, and
> sends mail ok). This happens on 2 servers, so it is not a user config
> problem (besides, there is no interface to configure anything on the
> server).
>
> Squid (1.1.21 using NTLM)reports TCP_DENIED/400 for any sites other than
> compaq.com.
>
> Because I cannot see the squid.conf, I have to guess, here is my theory.
>
> The NTLM module is not working, resulting in users being denied access to
> every site, except (for marketing purposes) the public site of compaq.com.
> I saw reports of problems with CHAP and win98 on various newsgroups, but
> nothing specific.

Do you mean NTLM as a front-end or a backend? AFAIK there was not and will
not be a NTLM front-end module for squid 1.1 (I'm part of a group that just
got NTLM running as a front-end for squid. The back-end needed is
significantly different to what was present in squid, so I am confident that
there was no previous work to achieve full NTLM capabilities.

If you are referring to using the basic scheme as the front-end (browser
side of squid) and SMB text-based authentication as the back-end that sounds
more feasible.

> Does this sound plausible, if so, had anybody had similar experiences with
> NTLM and squid 1??

I haven't, but as the helper protocol hasn't changed significantly for ages
(I couldn't tell you when it last changed) I see no reason why a SMB back
end wouldn't work ok. You probably need to be allowing LANMAN/NTLMv1 on your
Domain Controllers though.

Rob