Re: [SQU] Optimum config for Squid on Linux for lots of users

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 02:20:22 +0100

Martin Robbins wrote:

> I am not trying to play "mine's bigger than yours" but actually to
> see if anyone else has much experience with systems on this scale ?

Yes.

Some quick stats: daily access.log ~100MB after gzip -9 (no ICP
requests), much less hardware (1 Alpha CPU, 1 x 9GB / 7200rpm logs+OS
drive, 3 x 9GB/10000rpm cache drives, 512MB), differnt OS (Linux
2.2.something), about the same Squid version plus/minus a few lines.
Requests/minute during working hours: ~9000. Those boxes was a bit short
on cache (20GB, only about 2.5 days). No longer responsible for
maintaining them after a switch of jobs, but I my goal is to build much
more efficient systems as I don't think the cost/performance ratio of
those systems was very great.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker