Re: [SQU] What is the differecce between 'TCP_IMS_HIT' and 'REFRESH_HIT'?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:05:50 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Seung Yoo wrote:

> Hi, I have a few questions about 'tcp_ims_hit'(TIH) and 'refresh_hit'(RH).
>
> 1. In the Internet Explorer, what is the differece between clicking 'refresh' button and pressing 'enter' key in URL space?
> Do http headers differ in each case? Do both of them use conditional 'get' ?

yes, there is a difference.

When you press refresh, the browser adds the 'no-cache' header to the
request. That forces squid to forward the request to the origin server.

Both can use conditional get.

Pressing refresh should always be slower. Just pressing ENTER
will probably be much faster most of the time.

> 2. What is the differecce between 'TCP_IMS_HIT' and 'REFRESH_HIT'?

IMS_HIT means Squid returned a 304 not modified reply without
forwarding the request to the origin server.

REFRESH_HIT means squid sent a conditional GET and the
answer was 304 not modified and Squid sent the whole
cached response to the browser.

Duane W.