Re: [SQU] question about icp

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:28:48 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Greg wrote:

]we have two proxy servers. one in our big location and one in a remote
]location we currently use
]
]cache_peer 210.10.81.183 parent 80 0 no-query default
]prefer_direct off
]
]is using icp better???

The answer is "definitely maybe" depending on several factors. I can only
tell you about the volume factor I recommend to my client caches, but
there are others like latency etc.

Acquiring digests from my caches will have my clients transfer ~300MB/day.
Your numbers *will* differ. I tell them to use digests, if they transfer
more than ~200MB/day non-digest objects, and ICP if they transfer less
than ~200 MB/day non-digest objects. As you can see, I am a little biased
towards digests, since they put less stress on my caches during rush
hours. Since almost all my clients and I all live in the same ASN (more or
less), I didn't trouble looking into latency issues.

Ciao,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (RVS)
University of Hanover, Germany; ++49 511 762 4726