RE: [SQU] Ideal machine.

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:24:24 +0100

> We're about to build a new squid server. What is the hot set
> up now days
> for a server keeping cost in mind. We're thinking about 512
> Meg of ram and
> about 35 gigs of drive space. Is it best to use one big drive
> or to spread
> it out over several drives. If the latter what is the best
> way (keeping
> cost in mind) to achieve this?

Too little RAM.
That much HDD space will require about 200-250 Mbs of RAM
just to keep in memory the index of the cached files.
So, in the end, you'd better double the RAM amount.

Spreading on different drives is good(tm) if possible.
Do not use RAID if possible, squid's disk usage patterns hit
Raid-5 hard, and you'll get little benefit from raid-0
anyways.

--
	/kinkie