Re: [SQU] The law and proxies?

From: Martin Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:07:15 +0000

At 15:07 20/11/00 +1100, Dean Grubb wrote:
>So I was wondering what experience other squid cache administrators have
>had with this.
>
>Is there a law/bill that say's we have the right to monitor the users on
>our LAN/WAN?

Hi Dean,

I have a reasonable amount of experience on this matter. I used to run a
500 user squid cache for a law firm.

The bottom line was that everyone was told that their e-mail accounts were
not private and that their Internet usage was logged and monitored. This
went down to the level of a automated text report being sent to the HR
Director containing a list of every e-mail anyone sent or received and a
list of every site anyone visited.

As it was part of their contracts (including mine) the users basically
didn't have a leg to stand on.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks