[SQU] squid, SOCKS4 and Smb_auth

From: Jan Skarabela <jan.skarabela@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:18:10 +0100

Hallo everybody,
I went through all the FAQs and searched all related mailing lists but did
not find solution to my problem so I decided to post it here.

We are connected to ISP that give us only Internet access through SOCKS4 and
we would like to use squid as a cache in our internal net and use user
authentication. So far we just needed to socksify squid and it worked. The
problem arised when we wanted to use user authentication on squid. The basic
passwd file authentication was working fine even under socksified squid but
when trying smb_auth authentication on socksified squid (we want to
authenticate user against internal Primary NT domain controller) problems
appeared. Those problems did not appear if squid is running normally,
without socks. Smb_auth does not authenticate user if you run it this way
"runsocks smb_auth -W xxx" but it does authenticate user if you run it
normally "smb_auth -W xxx". I suppose that the first socksified version is
the one under which the smb_auth processes are started when running squid
socksified.

Please did somebody encounter and solve similar problem? Does anybody have
an idea how to do user authentication against Primary NT domain controller
under socksified squid? Thank you for your input.

Sincerely,

Jan Skarabela

ibcs - international business consulting and solutions group
Luxembourg - Nuernberg - Muenster- Brno - Praha - Ostrava -Bratislava -
Presov