Re: [SQU] Encrypting SMB autentication

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 21:09:34 +1100

The authentication is in clear text because it uses the "basic" http
authentication scheme. The authentication to the MS server may be encrypted
but the credentials from the user to squid will always be in clear text.

<shameless promotion mode>
There is another http authentication scheme 'NTLM' that does not use clear
text at any point in the process and also authenticates to a MS domain
controller/SAMBA server. An implementation of it for squid is currently at
beta quality, (at least three sites are using it in production to one degree
or another).

for more information search the mailing list archives for NTLM or see
http://squid.sourceforge.net/ntlm

Rob