[SQU] How to tell if Squid is Overloaded?

From: Dana Gourley <danagourley@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:25:30 -0500

A polygraph-squid question.

I've been trying out squid with polygraph and I find that the hit ratio
while initially equal to the offered hit ratio decreases over the course of
a test run. I have been assuming that the decreasing hit ratio was due to
the system being limited by the disk io and that squid wasn't able to cache
all the objects that are available. However it doesn't seem to make a
difference if I use one hard disk or two hard disks, so I am beginning to
question my assumption that the problem is the disk io. What are the usual
failure signals that people experience when testing with polygraph?

I am using Linux-2.2.16
I am using currently squid2.4Devel4 with async-io=160, two
"cache_dir aufs /cache1/cache 4000 16 256"
plus "cache_mem 32MB"
I am using two IDE disks. One of them also does the logging.
The polygraph test is a modified version of polymix-2. Similar things happen
with polymix-2. The cache is full for these tests. The peak request rate
was 74req/sec. Also occurs at 50req/sec

Hardware: P3 with 256MB memory, 3Com 10/100 NIC card.