Re: [SQU] Squid on Cygwin and Transpaent caching

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:23:50 +1100

I haven't even contemplated this! You might like to look at one of the 'native nt' ports of cygwin. They aren't always 100%
featured - but if one of them has info on transparent caching on NT then NT will support it.

However, I'd suggest not using transparent (properly called intercepting) caching anyway. Intercepting caching is a bad thing due to
assumptions made by client software, and the fact that you are breaking the expected end to end path of TCP/IP.

I would use interception to display an HTML page warning the user of the need to use your proxy, with instructions on configuration.

See
http://www.wrec.org/Drafts/draft-ietf-wrec-known-prob-02.txt

it has an entry on intercepting proxies.

Rob