Re: Squid on Mandrake 7.0

From: Devin Teske <devinteske@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 06:36:05 -0800

>Hallo! Du (Devin Teske) hast geschrieben:
>
> >What happens is I launch it but after I launch it, it quits. I don't know
> >what is going wrong.
>
>any messages at the usual places (/var/log/squid/*)? tried to
>start squid on the commandline, without a wrapper?

I think that this may be the problem.
This is from /var/log/squid/cache.log

"
2000/12/03 10:11:05| /var/spool/squid/00: (2) No such file or directory
FATAL: Failed to verify one of the swap directories, Check cache.log
        for details. Run 'squid -z' to create swap directories
        if needed, or if running Squid for the first time.
Squid Cache (Version 2.2.STABLE5): Terminated abnormally.
"

It looks like this is the problem. This occurrs at the end of every time I
try to run it. I will try to do as it suggests, running with -z. Thank you
for your help. One of the problems I was having was that I couldn't find the
log files.

I come from FreeBSD where squid is in one package and you have /squid/logs/*
etc.

> >If anybody could help me out, I would be eternally greatful. (if worse
>comes
> >to worse, I would be happy to give you telnet access to see if you you
>could
> >configure it remotely for me.

I was thinking if the benefits would outway the risk.

> >I repeat, I need squid up and running very fast. I also need it very,
>very
> >much. My reputation depends on it.
>
>dunno what reputation you have, but maybe it isn't yours?

You are quite correct. I also have the reputation of my boss who trusts me
very much on my shoulders.

Thank you very much, although I am probably not finished. I will probably
need your guys assistance later. But thank you in advance if this helps me
to get it running at least.

Devin Teske.