Re: [SQU] applying the path for FTP_ICONS_NOT FOUND

From: Lionel Bouton <Lionel.Bouton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:59:52 +0100

"Beukers, W.J." a écrit :

> Thanks, that did the trick !
>
> I was a bit affraid that this 'reinstall' would overwite my settings...am i
> right in understanding that it 'looks' at the current installation and
> doesn't change it only for the part of the patch ?

I should have added a "-1/ backup your configuration files" in my
previous mail just to be sure..

The squid configuration file isn't modified/overwrited by a
reinstallation from sources.
If I remember correctly, a squid.conf.default is installed in
/etc/squid/ and /etc/squid/squid.conf is left untouched.
Many thanks should go to the developpers for this choice.

The patch only modify squid's executable sources and not squid's
configuration files.
In fact the 'reinstall' didn't look at your config, it simply didn't
overwrite it.
Only squid's process behavior was modified by a fix in the source of
squid's executable.

> Do you know if there is a document about this (applying patches) ?

man patch :)

For better understanding, try "man diff" too.

> regards and thanks very much,
> Wiljoh

Glad to be helpful,

Lionel.