Re: [SQU] Hy there...

From: Juri Haberland <juri.haberland@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:36:35 +0100

Seby wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Claudiu wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Seby wrote:
> >
> > > doesn't go direct... how can i tell squid to go direct when the parent is
> > > dead and to go tru the parent when the parent is alive...
> >
> > I guess you have to make a script that verifies if the parent is up, and
> > if not, to say something like
> > squid -k shutdown
> > squid -f /path/to/another/squid.conf/with/always-direct directive
> another posibility .. doesn't exist.......

Actually, you have to possebilities:
1. Configure squid to _always_ use the proxy and never go direct.
     In this case you have the problems you encountered and I see no
other way
     to solve this but with a script

2. You configure squid to use your parent _mostly_, but allow him also
to query
    other servers directly. In this case you could use the option
    "prefer_direct=off", which lets squid prefer the parent before
attempting a
    direct connection

Juri

--
juri.haberland@innominate.com
system engineer                                         innominate AG