RE: [SQU] NTLM Feedback

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:02:21 +1100

This is the occasional error Dr. Weller was reporting. We (still) don't
know why that was occuring. Can you please search the mailing list
archives - Dr. Weller reported his settings for challenge refresh and
helper count to the list a couple of times, and his most recent report
indicated no problems visible to the users.

> Is this possibly because I don't have enough children specified in my
> squid.conf? Is it because our BDC is getting busy?

(In order)
Unlikely and maybe.
Use the ntlm authenticator stats page in cache manager to see how many
requests are being handled by the ntlm children. My rule of thumb is
that if the last helper is getting regular requests (say 1 / minute or
1/5 minutes) I add a helper.

We still don't have enough beta sites to give any real feedback on
appropriate numbers.

Rob

P.S. For those of you who are interested in sick and twisted things, the
NTLMSSP helper compiles, runs and authenticates to a windows 2000 DC
with squid on cygwin (on windows 2000).

So at least part of SAMBA runs on windows :]