Re: [SQU] Pre-implementation question

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:58:10 -0600

Henri J. Schlereth wrote:

> I am considering implementing squid on my firewall. I am already using
> junkbuster to good use and plan (and know roughly how) to combine using
> both. My question is this:
>
> The default memory is 8MB for squid. I have plenty of HD space but
> less memory. Can I run squid with less memory? Say on the order of
> 1-4MB with a bigger disk cache?

cache_mem only defines the hot object memory store. Squid will use
significantly more than that. If your goal is to reduce memory usage,
then the idea is to _reduce_ cache directory size, not increase it.
Squid currently uses an in-core swap.state that keeps up with what files
are in the object store on disk...the more space you allocate to Squid
on disk, the more memory it will take to hole that swap.state.

So use a very small cache_dir setting (200-400MB, maybe?), and also set
cache_mem to 2-4MB. That should cause your Squid process to be somewhat
smaller.
                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances