[SQU] Bandwidth Usage Notification

From: William Wishon <bill.wishon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:20:01 -0800

Hi,
        Is there any way to have squid notify an external program when it's
bandwidth usage crosses certain boundaries?

My problem,
        I want to use squid as an httpd accelerator where the server it is
accelerating wants to know about the current bandwidth usage. The delay
pools seem almost like what I want, but instead of delaying the users
request when the bucket is empty I would just like squid to tell my program
about the fact that the bucket is now empty. That way if I were to set up
buckets with the limits of 128K 256K and 512K I would get notified when
bandwidth usage crosses those boundaries. I'm about to dive into the source
to find the place to hook myself in, but I just wanted to see if anyone had
any ideas on this.
        I had thought of putting a little bandwidth monitoring tool in front of
squid that measures bandwidth on the interface and port that squid is
listening on, but I thought that would have too much negative impact on
performance. And since squid with delay-pools on is already keeping track
of bandwidth I thought I would start there.

Thanks for any advice / thoughts,
Bill Wishon