Re: [SQU] SQUID with a M$ Parent...?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:15:40 +1100

Hi Max,
    I hope you don't obejct, but I've cc'd this back to the squid-users mailing list. It's pretty standard netettiquette to stay on
the list unless it's agreed in advance to move the discussion off list.

My point was not about a single CARP parent, it was about a single parent. CARP is a tool for deciding where your upstream requests
get sent. On a single parent configuration it has nothing to do :]. If you have two parents and want to share the load between them
in a certain ratio, using CARP can be useful. I.E. you can give one parent 1/3 of the requests, and the other 2/3.

note: CARP DOES NOT QUERY. This is important. CARP decides on the client(be it a browser or a downstream proxy) what upstream proxy
will serve the request. This is the opposite to ICP and Digests which provide the downstream proxy with information to see what
parents have hits.

I think CARP may be useful in your environment...

Rob