Re: [SQU] icap client for Squid

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:28:21 +1300

ICAP is an internet draft at the moment - Internet Content Adaption
Protocol. It defines a HTTP-like method for altering requests and responses
of internet protocols. Mainly aimed at http, but smtp and others can use it.

The basic concept is that for a given service (say virus scanning) the squid
server (aka iCAP client) sends the content recieved to the iCAP server (the
virus scanner) which then looks at as much as it needs to and either returns
NO CONTENT to mean pass the request unaltered, or a 200 with the cleaned
content. It looks pretty good (to me) and I've started looking around to see
if there are any reference implementations (couldn't find any). I've also
been playing with client_side to see how to best hook iCAP in.

iCAP defines 4 hooks - two on outbound requests, and two on inbound.
The two outbound are
1) request received from client
2) request about to be made upstream
likewise the two inbound are
1) response recieved from server
2) response about to be sent to client.

iCAP does not cover the policy decisions about when a iCAP service should
get used.

Rob