Re: [SQU] SQUID NOT DISCONNECT FTP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:00:10 +0100

Sinisa Malesevic wrote:

> I try to restrict internet accsess by time but doesnt work.
> If enybody downloading some file from internet (with FTP) squid will
> not disconnect FTP.
> WHY??????

I see two possible causes:

a) quick_abort_* not configured to abort the requests

b) Someone using one of those download managers that supports restarted
downloads, but restarts is not supported by the origin server. In that
case Squid-2.X up to 2.3 will try to catch up to the restart point
internally before sending any reply to the client. Also, if
half_closed_clients is enabled then this will continue even if the
client aborts as Squid have no means of knowing if the client has really
aborted or not until it has something to send to the client..

For problem a, see the quick_abort_* settings in squid.conf. My
recommended settings is
quick_abort_min 0 KB
quick_abort_max 0 KB

Note that setting quick_abort_min to -1 disables quick aborts, causing
Squid to always try to finish the download. The squid.conf documentation
really should be updated to make this clearer...

For problem b, see http://squid.sourceforge.net/hno/squid-2.3.html, or
try the latest version of Squid-2.4.. and disable half_closed_client
support.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker