Re: [SQU] multiprocessor machines

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:43:01 +0100

Joe Cooper wrote:

> If I recall correctly, Henrik (Squid hacker, and all around great guy)
> formerly maintained a couple of well equipped Alpha+Linux boxen that
> sound a bit like what you're thinking of, except with faster processors
> and able to use an async i/o compile of Squid. He was seeing about
> 140-180 reqs/sec at peak load on those boxes, I think.

Those boxes were Compaq DS10, 1 Alpha CPU (unknown MHz), 512MB mem,
RedHat-6.2 derived OS, 3*9GB 10Krpm cache disks making up an effective
cache space of 20GB, 1*9GB 7.2Krpm system+log disk. Dual UW scsi
controller. Daily 30 minutes average of 150req/s live traffic during
peak hours (9-17, corporate environment). Have not been tested with
polygraph so it is a bit hard to compare figures with other boxes...

It is very much possible that we might have been able to cram a
significantly higher horsepower out of the CPU by selecting a better
compiler and such things, but as the boxes gave good enought performance
we did not bother.

And yes, Squid is so far essentially single-CPU oriented. True SMP
support might appear in Squid-3 which is now only in the very early
planning stages. Before that we will see Squid-2.5 and possibly even
Squid-2.6. and before Squid-2.5, 2.4 must get released.. (testers highly
welcome to test Squid-2.4-HEAD to speed this up)

/Henrik