Re: [SQU] high-availability proxies

From: Don Rolph <w-rolph@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 07:48:01 -0500

Florin Andrei wrote:

> Suppose i wanna build a high-availability proxy: two identical machines,
> with different IP addresses, load-balanced through DNS. If one proxy goes
> down, it's enough to delete it from the DNS records, so the other proxy will
> (hopefully) take the entire traffic.

This is in fact how the TI firewall is structured. The DNS is structured in a
round robin resolution mode so that there is load sharing (not balancing) .
Note that most browsers, however, will cache the DNS entry, so they will need to
be restarted if the proxy they are using goes down. This is typically only a
minor problem.

> Do you think this is a good idea if i wanna minimize the problems with the
> proxy?

yes.

> What other high-availability solutions are there?

I have a local squid proxy which has worked continuously or 453 days without
restarting. If the beast is on good hardware, and the only applicationis the
proxy, then it is solid as a rock.