[SQU] feature request

From: Florin Andrei <florin125@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:04:50 -0000

I'm experimenting with Squid on a nifty SGI 1200 box, running Red Hat Linux
7.0 ;-) I have 4 HDDs, one for the system, and the other 3 just for Squid (3
separate cache_dir's).

I've noticed that, if you add a new cache_dir and run "squid -z", the new
swap dirs are created, and the old cache is preserved. This is fine. But...
Imagine this scenario:
You have a nice Unix box with hot-pluggable HDDs. You hot-add a new HDD in
the system, and you want to dedicate it to Squid. But your proxy service is
a critical one, so you don't want to stop Squid. If you try to run "squid
-z", you get "...already running" and stuff like that.
Wouldn't be nice to be able to create new swap dirs even if Squid is already
running? And then just add the new cache to squid.conf, then run "squid -k
reconfigure" and that's it!
Another possible advantage: if you already have multiple cache_dir's, and
one is corrupted, you just comment out its entry in squid.conf, reconfigure
Squid, umount the disk, reformat it, mount, uncomment the entry, run "squid
-z" and there you are. cache_dir recovery without stopping the service! Way
cool...

What do you think?

--
Florin Andrei