Re: [SQU] high throughput?

From: <scanner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:02:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Joe Cooper wrote:

> Squid in it's current form can handle upwards of 180 reqs/sec on nicely
> sized Intel hardware running Linux and an async compile of Squid (this
> much I've confirmed with benchmarks). You can probably push it to
> 250-300 on really really big Intel hardware--like 2GB RAM, dual 1GHz
> CPU, 4-6 SCSI 15K RPM disks, etc. You'll then need to cluster
> several Squid boxen together using an L4 switch, WCCP, or LVS, to
> balance between the multiple caches.
>
> The Squid developers, Henrik and Adrian in particular, are working hard
> on making Squid faster and much more scalable. The 2.5DEVEL tree (open
> now, as the 2.4 tree moves rapidly toward STABLE) will feature a number
> of new development ideas that it is hoped will increase it's scalability
> significantly. It's unlikely we will see 2.5 reach stability in 2001,
> however, since it is just getting rolling.
>
> Since you speak of changing the code, I assume you have some programming
> experience...if so, please do feel free to help with the effort to speed
> up Squid. I'm sure everyone would be happy to have an extra set of eyes
> and hands working on accelerating the code. Check out what's going on
> over at the squid.sourceforge.net site, get a feel for the code, and get
> involved.

Hmm speaking of those modifications. Is there a progress report on adrians
work with FreeBSD's kqueue system? I have seen what kqueue does compared
to /dev/poll. VERY impressive. And is anyone using FreeBSD's accept_filter
code in addition to or by itself with squid? I am interested to see what
that does for scalability and performance. I know kqueue scales VERY well.

-Chris Watson (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work: scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home: scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"