Re: [SQU] Some problems with squid

From: Martin Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:28:37 +0000

At 13:08 16/01/01 +0530, Gaurav Agarwal wrote:
>Hi ,
> I am a student at IITD, India and we are running squid on our proxy
>server. We recently noticed problems with the disk that housed the squid
>cache and i guess finally the disk has developed bad sectors. Can it
>because of the excessive read/writes that squid does on the disk ??
>On trying to use the same partition for squid cache we get error messages
>like "Resetting SCSI bus" or "Scanning inode ******* returned short
>reads". Running an fsck also crashes a machine or takes forever.

This does indeed sound like a dodgy hard drive. If your cache is on a
dedicated hard drive, it's probably worth trying a lowlevel format combined
with a bad sector check. Obviously, this will be data destructive. Once
the disk has been checked, you'd need to reformat it and the re-initialise
the Squid cache.

It that doesn't do any good, try getting the drive replaced under
warranty. Failing that, hard drives are cheap these days.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks