Re: [SQU] Transparency: WCCP vs L4

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:11:13 -0700

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001, M. Yu wrote:

> WCCP last time I checked is a commercial product of Cisco, which means you
> pay for it. L4 (correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this supposed to be in
> L3?) is basically already integrated in a product you'll buy anyway (the
> switch) so it's basically free.

This seems a little backwards.

If you have a cisco router, or are looking to buy a border router for
your network, you get WCCP in the IOS as part of IOS. You don't need
to pay cisco again so you can use squid as the cache hanging off WCCP.

(This is at least valid for WCCPv1.)

On the flipside, if you want to buy a switch to do transparent redirection
at L4 then you're going to have to buy an L4 switch, and not a "normal"
L2 switch.

I'd suggest using a normal cisco as a border router, but I wouldn't suggest
buying a L4 switch to use as your office or server switch (unless of course,
thats what you wanted to do in the first place for some reason. :-)

Adrian