[SQU] transparent proxy with FreeBSD and Alteon acedirector

From: Chris Layton <layton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:57:36 -0500

    Hi everyone, I'm having a little trouble implementing a transparent
proxy with squid. I have two machines running squid 2.3stable4 on FreeBSD
4.2. I'm using an alteon acedirector to filter and redirect all outbound
traffic destined for port 80 to the squid ports in a load blanaced method.
The acedirector supposedly handles all this and does so very well in a small
(50 client) environment. When I scale up to between 1400 to 1800 clients
squid becomes unresponsive. IE no clients recieve their websites, checking
the logs squid appears to be working. I've recieved no error messages so
far.

    I recompiled my kernel to allow for larger process sizes, more ram (the
machies have 2gb of ram a piece, and are PIII 650's) and more file
descriptors. my /squid partition is not updating file access times, and is
a SCSI device.

    So my question would be does anyone have suggestions as to what I'm
doing wrong? I would love to not transparently proxy the requests, but it's
out of my hands. I chose squid to do these tests because I like the fact
that it's free, I'm very familiar with UNIX - and from what I read it could
hand the load I need. Like I said before it runs like a charm in a small
low client environment, but doesn't work at all scaled up.

    I'll be more than happy to supply anyone with any more information that
they need.

Thanks for your time.
Chris Layton.