[SQU] Safe_ports in squid.conf

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:46:30 -0400

Hi All,

I am running cache 2.3STABLE3 on AIX 4.3.3

I had a user complain that they could not reach a page. The page turned out
to use port 8900. When I went to that page, I got an error, saying
connection refused. I decided to go to the page directly (ie, turned off
webcaching) and it loaded. So I re-configured my box again to use the
webcache , and started looking at squid.conf file. When I went back to try
the page again (going through the cache), it worked. I thought it may have
been because I had cached it locally, so I reloaded it several times
(watching my activity in the log files as I did so) and it worked... I am
completely dumbfounded as to what changed, as I changed nothing in
squid.conf
I was looking at squid.conf and found:

acl Safe_ports port 80 21 443 563 70 210 911 1025-65535
and subsequently
http_access deny !Safe_ports

which would indicate to me that request for a page on port 8900 should have
worked correctly.. Am I right? So why did it fail the first time? Or better
yet, why did it suddently start working?