Re: [SQU] IBM Host On Demand

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:54:17 +1100

I'm going to get up and be unpopular here :]

Adam,
    'transparent' proxying is a *bad thing*. It saves a little bit of config time on your users machines, but it break the end to
end link expected by HTTP, and you can no longer authenticate your users, you will also have to choose between their refresh button
not working or lower cache hits. If you are not 'transparent' now, please please don't change.

Your problem is *not* related to 'transparent'/'non-transparent' configuration of squid. It is a badly written application that
needs it's own ports open (you would experience the same problem even if you were running 'transparently'). You need to open those
ports on your router/firewall/ip filtering device. Squid doesn't need changing.

Rob

P.S. A slightly academic note: RFC 2616 defines transparent proxies as (loosely) http proxies that don't alter the content at all.
Non-transparent proxies are ones that alter the content - for example converting all .gif's into .jpg's as they go through.

the 'transparent' used above really should be something like "intercepting/non-intercepting" To avoid confusion with the RFC terms.