RE: Transparent proxying with delay pools based on IP precedence bit

From: David Wilson <davew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:14:49 +0200

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for getting back to me.

>just curious, is this a standard practice?
I'm not sure if it's standard practice, but using precedence fields
definitely makes our life much easier when it comes to discriminating
between local and international Incoming traffic.

>how does it handle outgoing non-tcp traffic?
We don't really limit our clients outgoing bandwidth, because our provider
doesn't limit us ;-)
It's really just incoming bandwidth that we worry about.

>we could do that in our etbwmgr product for freebsd.
That would be great ! Especially if it could somehow interface with Squid so
that any Cache hits would not be bandwidth limited, but TCP_MISS's would be
pulled down at the bandwidth specified for that particular client, 16K if it
was and international site or 64K if it was a local site... all based on
precedence bit.

David Wilson