Re: [SQU] DNS tests failing on startup

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:13:35 +1030 (CST)

According to Henrik Nordstrom:

>The initial tests are using gethostbyname() and not actually direct DNS
>lookups like the internal DNS implementation. gethostbyname() is subject
>to /etc/nsswitch.conf and what other name services configuration options
>your OS has..

AHA - thanks for the clue. It turns out that the NIS slave our squid
server had bound to did not have a /etc/resolv.conf, fixed that and
squid is now happy again. The squid machine must have been bound to a
different NIS slave that had the appropriate resolv.conf set up which
is why it worked before.