Re: [SQU] IBM Host On Demand

From: Adam Lang <aalang@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:14:40 -0500

So, I will want to setup a firewall and squid directly on the internet.
Have squid monitor port 8080 and setup users to proxy http/ftp through squid
at port 8080.
Then setup a firewall that refuses all ports except for ones where apps need
to pass through, like 9000 for that java app. This firewall needs to be
added to routing scheme so apps know to go to it. (Either make it the
default route or add to the default route info so it knows to pass external
IPs to the firewall.)

If I wanted squid behind the firewall, is it possible to setup the firewall
to allow port 80 for the squid server, but refused from everywhere else?

Finally, can you explain to me why transparent proxies break the HTTP
authentication?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company