Re: [SQU] DEVEL to STABLE - how?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:58:35 +0100

Stefan Berg wrote:

> could someone please explain what criteras have to be met for Squid
> to be moved from DEVEL to STABLE?

That the developers are happy with the functionality of the Squid
version, and that no serious bug reports have been received from beta
testers in some time..

> The obvious answer is - When it's stable! ;)

For you: When you have tested the version and is happy with how it
performs.

For the developers: When they are happy with the functionality and have
tested the version without finding any significant problems, and beleive
that enought other people have done the same.

> But how do you determine it really IS?

It is impossible to prove that a software is bug-free, so I would never
claim any software is "really stable". The Squid definition of STABLE is

  We think this is mostly bug-free, and no serious problems have been
found while testing.

STABLE also means that only bug fixes will be applied to later STABLE
releases with the same Squid version number.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker