Re: [SQU] SSL Gatewaying

From: John Castillo <john@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:11:29 -0800

the SSL Gatewaying patch worked out. thanks for the autoheader and autoconf
information. presently i have a working SSL Gateway for my Transparent
Reverse Proxy configuration!

CLIENT <--- over HTTPS ---> SQUIDPROXY <--- over http ---> INTERNALRESOURCE

however, NOW i'm told that the connection between the SQUIDPROXY and
INTERNALRESOUCE also needs to be done over https. i have already tested the
current config and noticed that i get the expected error of Connection
Failed (111) Connection Refused. i would assume that this is because
SQUIDPROXY is trying to access the INTERNALRESOUCE over http, when the
INTERNALRESOURCE will only work over https.

so the new question is:
1 - can i use a SSL wrapper (like stunnel or sslwrap) to create the secure
connection i need from SQUIDPROXY to INTERNALRESOURCE?
2 - is this setup hokey or what?
3 - i found that Iplanet Proxy (Netscape Proxy) can natively handle this
sort of secure client to proxy, secure proxy to internal resource
connection. i wonder if it is capable of doing it transparently for the
client and i also wonder if its doing this "double encryption".

lastly, would anyone mind looking at my squid.conf and current
configuration. just let me know if it looks pretty straight forward. i
omitted the acl and http_access lines.

goal: provide a secure connection from client to internal resource using a
reverse proxy. a transparent type connection is desired.

current setup:
client - has no knowledge of any proxy server. client connects to
internal.proxy.mydomain.com

proxy - running SQUID 2.5/Devel + SSL Gatewaying patch. listens on
https_port 443 for incoming connections. compiled
with --disable-intenal-dns so that a /etc/hosts file can be used to resolve
the internal ip of internal.mydomain.com.

squid.conf looks sorta like this..
http_port 80
https_port 443
ssl_certificate /etc/squid/ssl.crt/server.crt
ssl_key /etc/squid/ssl.key/server.key
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on