[SQU] SSL with httpd_acceleration

From: Thimal Jayasooriya <thimal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:33:05 -0800

Hi all,
      After lurking for quite some time, and reading all the posts on
this subject, I still haven't found a definitive answer to my question..
so, please do tell me to RTFM or the archive if its available
somewhere...
    My question is,
I've setup Squid as a httpd accelerator (RH 7.0, Squid 2.3 stable
4). However, the most recent requirement is that the backend
webserver, IIS, also process some SSL requests. Unfortunately, I
get an error message at the client browser saying that the
certificate is invalid.. and that the host is not trusted.. basically,
that SSL doesn't work..it works fine when I go direct to the
webserver, btw..
However, I do get a certificate from localhost.localdomain (the
default cert. from RH installation) when I go through Squid... which I
thought was weird.. anyway...
has anyone on this list actually tried to accelerate a webserver that
handles SSL.. is it even possible.. ? After reading posts that are
related, my feeling on this is that Squid can't handle SSL because
it is after all, just an HTTP proxy, not for anything fancy like
HTTPS.. in which case, I'd really like to know of a workaround or
alternately a means to modify the Squid source to allow this...I'm
quite willing to wade through C source code to get this done,
assuming my C knowhow is adequate, of course ;o)

've already tried url_regex with always_direct for https, with no
luck...

Any information appreciated..
Thanks in advance,
Thimal