Re: [SQU] current CVS ... diskd config args changed ...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:47:23 +0100

Chris Conn wrote:

> Is it inferred with 2.4-PRE-STABLE that we can once again use ASYNCIO on
> Linux GLIBC2.x systems? Would it be acceptable to use ASYNCIO and aufs
> on such a system? With PTHREADS?

The intention is that ASYNCIO in 2.4 should be usable. Perhaps not to
the level of Squid-2.2-hno, but at least better than plain 2.2 or 2.3.

> To be honest, I have tried 2.4PRE-STABLE with a Linux system, PIII
> 800Mhz, 2x15GB partitions, 768MB RAM and a 80M/sec SCSI card and the
> system's load average under 2.3STABLE4 is about 0.80 at 2000 req/min,
> and using diskd with 2.4PRE-STABLE on the same system, my load average
> would hover between 2.5 to 3.0, so I obviously reverted back to
> 2.3STABLE4. My system's library is GLIBC 2.1.3.

load average is not a very useful figure to compare when using two very
different software configurations.. ufs, aufs and diskd all behaves
quite differently and will give different "load averages" for the same
load. More interesting measurements are response times and to run
benchmarks to see how the system behaves when the workload increases.

Note: You can have a program that uses 1% CPU and no or very little I/O
but still generates a "load average" of some very high number. Similary
a program can use 100% of CPU and I/O with a "load average" somewhere in
the range of 1.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker