[SQU] Squid-2.3.STABLE4 w/ Linux 2.2.13 - getting proxy_auth and transparent proxying to work together

From: Santosh Narayanan <santosh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 02:35:57 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

I'm working on a proxy server using squid-2.3.STABLE4 with Linux 2.2.13
(Slackware). I've been trying to get the proxy_auth feature (using
ncsa_auth) working with transparent proxying.

What happens is this:

When I enable transparent proxying on the server the browser shows a
authentication dialog box and accepts the username and password. However
even on giving the right username/password it just keeps showing the
authentication box.

When I disable transparent proxying on the server and set the proxy
server address manually in my browser settings the authentication works
fine.

Now I read a post in the squid-users list archives
(http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/199810/0204.html)
that asked to change HDR_PROXY_AUTHENTICATE in src/client_side.c to
HDR_WWW_AUTHENTICATE etc - but the squid-2.3.STABLE4 source doesn't have a
HDR_PROXY_AUTHENTICATE in the client_side.c file.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a pointer as to how I
can use the proxy_auth along with transparent proxying?

Thanks!
-- Santosh